Private Rented Accommodation

  • Private Rented Accommodation

    Private rented accommodation is where you rent a house, flat or apartment from a landlord or property agency.

  • Shared Accommodation

    Shared accommodation which is often called a ‘house share’ is where you rent a bedroom in a house but you may share a kitchen, living room or bathroom with other tenants.

    It is very common in Ireland and is cheaper than renting somewhere on your own.

  • Finding Private Rented Accommodation

    You can look for private rented accommodation through local newspapers, estate agents or websites such as:, or

    The quality of rental accommodation can vary so you should view the property before signing any tenancy agreement
    There is currently a poor supply of available properties to rent and rents are extremely high so you will need to consider this when planning a move here.

    Landlords often want to see references from your employer and previous landlord before they will rent you a property. It is a good idea to bring these references with you when you are going to a viewing.

  • When do I pay for rental accommodation?

    You usually pay rent monthly, in advance

    Before you move in, you will need to pay a security deposit and normally one month’s rent in advance, but landlords sometimes request 2-3 months’ rent in advance as well as a deposit

    When making these payments, always ask for a receipt as proof of payment.

  • How do I pay for rental accommodation?

    Rent is often paid by standing order from your bank account or in cash to your landlord using a rent book. A rent book records information about the tenancy agreement and notes all your rent payments to the landlord. It is usually in booklet form. By law you are entitled to a rent book and/ or a Lease agreement- (contract with your landlord). Your rent book or Lease agreement should contain the following information:

    • The address of your accommodation
    • Your landlord’s name and address or the landlord’s agent (if any)
    • Your name
    • The date the tenancy started
    • The length of the tenancy
    • The amount of deposit paid
    • The amount of rent and how it is to be paid
    • Details of any other payments for services, for example heating, cable television, telephone line
    • A statement on the basic rights and duties of landlords and tenants
    • A list of furnishings and appliances supplied by the landlord

    For more information go to:

  • Who can help if I am having problems in my rental accommodation?

    Threshold – provides advice and information on finding private accommodation, dealing with problems during your tenancy and ending your tenancy:

    Residential Tenancies Board

    • All landlords are required to register with the Residential Tenancies Board (RTB).
    • The main role of the Residential Tenancies Board is to support the rental sector and to resolve disputes between landlords and tenants without having to go to court.
    • You can contact the Residential Tenancies Board directly to find out your rights as a tenant, to check if your tenancy is registered, to get information on how to protect your security deposit or to find out more about their dispute resolution service.

    For more information contact the Residential Tenancies Board:

  • Safety in the Home

    All landlords have a responsibility to ensure their rent properties meet certain minimum standards. Your home must be in a good state of repair, have fire blankets and a smoke alarm.

    For more information go to: