• MABS (Money Advice & Budgeting Service)

    MABS is the Irish State’s money advice service, which helps people who have gotten into debt.

    If you are having financial difficulties or having problems paying any of your bills, please contact your local MABS for support and assistance.

    For more information go to: www.mabs.ie or you can contact the MABS helpline on: 0761 07 2000

  • Risk of Homelessness

    There are many reasons why a person may become at risk of homelessness. It may be because you:

    • have fallen behind with your rent payments or mortgage repayments.
    • have lost your job.
    • have difficulty accessing your social welfare payments.
    • have a low income.
    • have fallen into debt.
    • have mental or physical health problems.
    • have experienced family breakdown or separation.
    • have misused alcohol or drugs.
    • have difficulties with your sexual orientation.
    • have received family reunification which has led to your home becoming overcrowded.
    • have been granted refugee status, permission to remain or subsidiary protection and now have to leave direct provision accommodation.

    If you feel you are at risk of becoming homeless, it is important to get assistance as quickly as possible. There are many services that can help prevent you from becoming homeless. Crosscare has produced an information guide with details of these services.

  • Homelessness

    If you become homeless, you will need to present to your local authority for an assessment and to be registered as homeless.

    This will allow you to access accommodation and support services for homeless people.

    When presenting to your local authority, it is a good idea to bring your photo ID, proof of income and any documents related to the loss of your home.

    You can phone your local authority or check their website to find out the opening times and location of their homeless section.

    If you are found to be homeless, emergency accommodation may be arranged. The nature of the accommodation will depend on whether you are a single adult or you have a family. You may be required to pay a weekly contribution to the cost of your accommodation.


    • Families who are found to be homeless may be placed in a hostel by their local authority or given the right to self-accommodate. This could be for one night only or on an ongoing basis. The council will make this decision after meeting with you.
    • A family who are given the right to self accommodate have to find a room in a hotel or bed and breakfast, which the council will then pay for.
    • In Dublin, the Focus Ireland Intake Team attempt to assist people who have been given the right to self-accommodate to find hotel or B&B (bed and breakfast) accommodation.

    Single Persons

    • Single people are often booked into a hostel for one night only. In Dublin, if you are granted accommodation for one night only, you will have to phone the homeless Freephone to book into your accommodation every day.
    • If you are using the one night only hostels every day for a prolonged period, your local authority may book you into a hostel on an ongoing basis.

    Under 18

    If you become homeless and are under 18, you will need to contact TUSLA or if it is outside of hours, contact your local Garda Station.

    If you become homeless and it is outside of office hours

    Outside of office hours, if you are in the Dublin area contact 1800 707 707 before1am for advice and information on accessing emergency accommodation. If you live outside Dublin and it is outside of office hours, your local Garda station may be able to advise you of information on accessing emergency accommodation in your area.

    Social Welfare and Homelessness

    If you are experiencing homelessness and have no income or a low income, you will need to apply for a social welfare payment with the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection. For more information go to the Welfare section.

    Food Services

    A number of food services operate in the Dublin area, offering low cost or free food, for people on low incomes. Crosscare has a number of Community Cafés which offer low cost, high quality food. Download list of food centres here [include link to PDF].

    Health Services for People Experiencing Homelessness

    Safetynet provides free health services in Dublin, Cork and Limerick mainly to people experiencing homelessness and other marginalised members of society who finding it difficult to access medical services. You can meet with a doctor, nurse, chiropodist or dentist. These services are run from a number of different locations. You can find details of where and when to find these services here: https://www.primarycaresafetynet.ie/services

    Support Services for People Experiencing Homelessness

    You can find a list of accommodation and support services to people experiencing homelessness here: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/losing_your_home/agencies_for_homeless_people.html

  • Exiting Homelessness

    Homeless HAP (Housing Assistance Payment)

    • Homeless HAP is a pilot scheme currently running in the Dublin and Cork areas.
    • This scheme allows higher rates of HAP to be paid for families, couples and single people who have been assessed as being homeless or at risk of homelessness. A deposit and up to two months rent in advance can be paid to your landlord before you move in.
    • To see if you are eligible for homeless HAP, talk to a staff member in your local authority homeless section.

    For more information on Homeless HAP go to: http://hap.ie/homeless-hap

    SLI (Support to Live Independently)

    This is a service for people exiting homelessness who live in the Dublin area.

    You are allocated a worker who will assist you to settle into your new home and community.

    If you wish to access this service please contact the homeless section of your local authority.

    CLAN (Crosscare Links and Advice Network) is a peer led tenancy sustainment support service that aims to help ex-Crosscare clients who have exited homeless to live independently and sustain their accommodation. For more information please contact:

    c/o Community College, Arran Quay, Dublin 7
    Telephone: 01 8725055
    Email: clan@crosscare.ie